Monday, January 5, 2009

Happy Birthday Grandmama!


This post is a tribute to my very own grandmother. Today is her eighty-sixth birthday. I'm blessed to know her as a grandparent and a friend.
She is a most intriguing personality. She spent time as a model in the 40's and 50's, maybe that's where I get my interesting fashion sense? She was a singer radio actress and worked briefly on live radio broadcasts before television came along. Her strength to carry herself through countless times of sorrow past and present shows me the insurmountable courage and grace she holds.
We have shared numerous experiences together while I visited her during my college days. All of these times are treasured memories that will never fade from mind. I miss seeing her, I miss smelling her perfume, I miss her encouraging voice, I miss her stories of her adventurous life.

Yep, that's my grandma holding a rifle used during their (she and my grandfather's) Kodiak bear expedition. They brought down the largest one to date in that time which was about 1947...didn't I mention she was incorrigible? Oh and here she is fishing! Look at the size of them
and that's no fish story!
I saw her briefly last year, but a few minutes of hellos and goodbyes are never enough time to spend with those to whom you are uniquely bonded. I could spend an eternity sharing fun, crazy, bold, and beautiful stories of my Grandmother, particularly those of the two of us together, and maybe sometime I will. But for now, I love you Grandmama. I hope that you have a wonderful birthday spent with the family I also adore and miss. Kiss them all for me.
Lovingly,
Your Granddaughter

No comments: