Sunday, September 7, 2008

Just Peachy




There are acres upon acres of fruit bearing orchards of all varieties and during the spring through fall seasons you can purchase the most ripe, fresh off the tree, delicious produce than anywhere else. My kids love to travel the short distance to one of these small farmer's produce corner sheds where they peddle their tasty treats for a fraction of the cost sold in a typical grocery store. Some of Darby's favorites include peaches, white peaches, cherries, strawberries, apricots, blueberries, pears, apples,

















come to think of it, I don't think we've discovered a fruit she dislikes.
In fact, I think Austin enjoys all the bounties the orchards have to give as well. Today Austin asked for Gouda cheese (a recent new addition to tickle his taste buds) and fruit and crackers. I opted for the bowl full of fresh and very ripe yellow and white peaches. I sliced through the first one and finding it to be on the verge of turning from tasty and sweet to squishy and moldy, I told everyone that we would need to consume the majority of the peaches soon before they went completely bad.

I cut up two more and passed them to Darby and the Dentist and I had some myself. I left the children to entertain themselves for the next few hours after lunch and upon my return found peach pits on the fireplace hearth, the counter, the floor, and a half eaten yellow peach in Darby's little pink palms. I smiled and asked how many had she eaten. With her twinkling blue eyes grinning back at me she stated, "um...two?"
Sure, kiddo!!!

No comments: